The hottest hair trend seen on the red carpet for this awards season is the side-swept wave, as shown above on Jennifer Lopez. Hayden Panettiere, Naomi Watts and Jessica Chastain are just a few glamour girls featuring this look at this year’s Golden Globes and other red carpet events.
It’s actually somewhat easy to achieve this look in a few steps for your own night on the town using natural and green hair styling products.
Tools you will need to achieve this beautiful look: four large hair clips, medium-size boar-bristle brush, blow dryer, 1 1/2″ curling iron, pin curl clips
1) Prep it. Start by applying a volumizing mousse on damp, freshly washed hair. Pro tip: Make sure hair is damp, not dripping wet. Work the mousse from roots to ends to prep the hair for the blow dry. Try VOLUME MOUSSE by Davines.
2) Blow it out. First divide your hair into four sections and clip each section.
How to do this correctly: part your hair with a straight comb across the middle of your scalp from ear to ear. Then make two sections by parting the hair from the crown of your head vertically down to the nape of the neck. Finally make a part from the crown to the front hairline, leave these two sections to blow dry last. Basically you are dividing the hair on your head into four equal parts.
Using a blow dryer with a medium boar-bristle brush, blow dry each section completely dry. Pro tip: Pay especially close attention to the root area while over-directing the brush angle away from the scalp, to create volume and movement.
3) Add the wave. You’ll want to curl your hair in sections, just like you did with the blow dry. Use a 1 ½” curling iron to curl your hair all over the head. Taking two-inch small sections of hair, work from the back section to the sides, and then the top section. Starting at the nape of the neck, curling each larger section as you go. Clip each curl with a small pin curl clip. Again, leave the top portion until last.
Pro Tip: To ensure the style will hold the set, you must spritz each section of hair with hairspray. Try ECO HAIRSPRAY by Davines.
4) Cool it off. Let the entire curled set cool so the hair can hold the form of the curl better. This is the perfect time to start doing your makeup for your big night out.
5) Set it free! Remove hair clips and lightly brush out your curled hair, pay close attention not to brush out the set too much. Brush your curls to one side, your best side, of course! Starting at the nape of the neck place three to four long bobbypins vertically to hold your hair to one side. You can also use lovely hair combs, barrettes or clips to give it an extra retro feel.
6) Brush it out. For the final touch give your hair another soft brush through and a light spritz of hairspray before you head out the door to your own awarding winning night on the town!